- Romania joined NATO in 2004 and has been a member of the European Union since 2007
- Romania is located in southeastern Europe, bordering the Black Sea, between Bulgaria (south), Republic of Moldova (East), Ukraine (North), Hungary (West), and Serbia (Southwest).
- The country’s climate is temperate; with cold, cloudy winters with frequent snow and fog, and sunny summers with frequent showers and thunderstorms
- Population of Romania is: 21,666,350 (Capital city, Bucharest, approximately 1.9M people) (2015 est.)
- Land use in Romania: Agricultural land: 60.7%; arable land 39.1%; permanent crops 1.9%; permanent pasture 19.7%; forest: 28.7%; other: 10.6% (2011 est.)
- Romania is a semi-presidential republic with a civil law system. Presidents are directly elected by absolute majority popular vote in 2 rounds (if needed) for a 5-year term (eligible for a second term); prime ministers are appointed by the president with consent of Parliament.